For Facebook fans:
Healthy Living: Body- Mind Health would like to present a discussion forum on Facebook hosted by myself and my daughter Sarah Richardson.
Weekly topics will be discussed: This week’s topic will be Ayuvedic Medicine and its treatments.
The forum will be on the new facebook page: Healthy Living News. For facebook fans, go on your
search and type in healthy living news. See you there!
Practiced in India for the past five thousand years, Ayuvedic medicine meaning- “Science of Life” is a comprehensive system of medicine that combines natural therapies with a highly personalized approach for the treatment of diseases.
Ayuvedic medicine places emphasis on body, mind, and spirit, and strives to restore harmony in the individual.
There is much to be learned about Ayuvedic Medicine ( even how to pronounce it!).
It is grouped into the following areas:
1. Diet: Prescribed according to ” dosha” ( your metabolic type), There are 3 types: thin: Vata, Medium is Pitta and Large is Kapha. Also taken into the diet are the seasons of the year, and certain foods should not be eaten together.
2. Exercise: Vigorous exercise and yoga stretching is necessary to Ayuvedic medicine. Vigorous exercise brings about circulation, stimulation and release of toxins from the body through sweat.
It also kindles the internal fire!
3. Meditation: Considered a form of mental-cleansing. Meditation enhances both self awareness and awareness of family and friends.
4. Herbs: The Ayuvedic Physician uses herbs to bring about wellness. Herbs are used to rebuild and rejuvenate the body and its systems.
5. Massage: Massage that uses herbal oils is important to Ayuvedic treatment. Upon absorption, through the skin, the medicated oils help to remove toxins from the body.
6. Sun: Ayuvedic philosophy states that the sun is not only a source of heat and light, but also of higher consciousness. It improves circulation, aids absroption of Vitamin D and strengthens the bones. Each dosha benefits from different lengths in the sun, but proper sun block and care is a must due to the risk of developing skin cancer. No one with multiple moles should lie in the sun for extended periods of time.
7. Breathing:Breathing exercises or pranayama can be learned in yoga classes. Depending on your dosha type, pranayama can bring about a sense of tranquility and peace, thus alleviating the stress your daily life happenings!
Taken in part from: Goldberg, B. (1999). Alternative Medicine: The Definitive Guide. Tiburon, CA. Future Medicine Publication